[Bldg-sim] How to model floor using aluminium foil to prevent heat transfer?

Shubha Mohunta shubha.mohunta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 12:02:22 PDT 2011

Hi,

The building i am modeling has steel frame floor which separates the
conditioned space from unconditioned basement. There are hot water tubes
running underneath between the steel joists for radiant heating. There is no
use of insulation except for v thin aluminium foil below radiant tubes which
is fixed to the steel joists using magnets. This foil helps with high
reflectivity and low thermal absorption prevents heat transfer to the
unconditioned basement.

Can somebody give me ideas how to model this ? I am using eQUEST

Shubha Mohunta, LEED Green Assoc.
M.S. Sustainable Design
Carnegie Mellon University