[Bldg-sim] Ignore thermal mass and transients for Supply rate calculations?

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 03:44:19 PST 2011

Dear All

Within the past year I've experienced at least two consultants who have
mandated /calculations /of Supply/ Space conditioning air rates in a way
that effectively ignores thermal mass and treats all loads (including
peak solar gain) as undiversified (i.e. permenantly on).

One of the consultants has presented this as a basis for 8760 hour
energy models for a extensive range of building types. Fans are required
to operate at the /calculated /rate for all periods of HVAC operation. I
feel this could grossly over estimate fan power in all but a few
circumstances.

Does anybody here model like this?

Best regards
--