[Bldg-sim] Energy consumption difference in E+ and Equest

Vaibhav Jain vaibhav.energyarchitect at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 22:49:14 PST 2011

Hello,

We are trying to compare cooling energy consumption of a typical office
building model in EnergyPlus and eQUEST. Simulation model is a simple 5 zone
model with PTAC system. Climate is New Delhi. Heating consumption is near
zero in both the models. We tried our best to closely match models in these
two software. The result says, cooling electricity consumption/sq.m./year is
about- 35 KW/sq.m./year (in Energyplus) and 100 KW/sq.m./year (in Equest).
Some of the guidelines says that cooling consumption should be around
100-120KW/sq.m./year. Is this correct? Does any one has come across this
phenomenon.

Why EnergyPlus is giving very less consumption as compared to Equest or