[Bldg-sim] Energy consumption difference in E+ and Equest

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 03:07:39 PST 2011

Vaibhav

Sorry to nit pick... don't you mean kWh/sq.m/year?

It's difficult to say what you're discrepancy comes from without having
the models.
All I can recommend is reviewing both model's results at successively
deeper levels detail. You've already covered the first level of detail -
the cooling consumption doesn't match.
Your next courses of action may be:

   1. Review monthly consumption
   2. I haven't used equest but assume you can review *hourly *air temps
      and loads, so compare these next.
   3. Solar gain

Are your figures based on zone demand or plant? You've got quite a few
layers to compare.

Cheers

Chris

On 16/02/2011 06:49, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are trying to compare cooling energy consumption of a typical
> office building model in EnergyPlus and eQUEST. Simulation model is a
> simple 5 zone model with PTAC system. Climate is New Delhi. Heating
> consumption is near zero in both the models. We tried our best to
> closely match models in these two software. The result says,
> cooling electricity consumption/sq.m./year is about- 35 KW/sq.m./year
> (in Energyplus) and 100 KW/sq.m./year (in Equest). Some of the
> guidelines says that cooling consumption should be around
> 100-120KW/sq.m./year. Is this correct? Does any one has come across
> this phenomenon.
>
> Why EnergyPlus is giving very less consumption as compared to Equest
> or references?
>
> Thanks & regards,
> Vaibhav Jain

Chris Yates C Eng MCIBSE