[Bldg-sim] Is there a point to "virtual partitions"?

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 08:28:53 PST 2011

Hello,

/Virtual partition: a transparent partition with no mass and no thermal
resistance.  If the simulation employs an air flow network it may also
be considered as a hole allowing air to pass through the partition.
Usually used to define a perimeter zone. (BTW this isn't quoting any
source, just what I understand!)/

I feel I may be describing a cultural nuance of energy modelling in the
UK. So I'd like to ask the following:

    * Do engineers in countries apart from the UK use "virtual partitions"?
    * What benefits do virtual partitions have over physical partitions?

Any other comments will be gratefully received.

Many thanks
--

Chris Yates C Eng MCIBSE

/Building Physics Consultant/