[Bldg-sim] Energy Prices (UNCLASSIFIED)

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Fri Jan 14 07:44:46 PST 2011

If modeling for LEED, I would advise seeking out the rate schedules for
the actual local utilities.  It's a little extra work (actually I've
found the EIA site to be a pain to navigate in the past), but I suspect
those averages take into account huge industrial facilities and
government/military organizations with well-discounted rate structures
atypically lower than those used for a typical building owner's bills.
I've found plugging the actual rates in (for a few projects where I made
this comparison) to generally increase the consumption/demand costs
modeled, and often that can cause a better cost-based (i.e. LEED)
performance rating.

My $0.02,

~Nick

NICK CATON, E.I.T.