[Bldg-sim] Energy Prices (UNCLASSIFIED)

David Eldridge dse at grummanbutkus.com
Fri Jan 14 09:16:30 PST 2011

Well, John requested "no caveats"...but...good point Nick, I have done
more work on larger Midwestern facilities, so those have tended to be
consistent with EIA data.  Your example is well taken that a smaller
facility might be expected to be higher than the EIA averages.

John, if the project is for LEED, the USGBC offers the EIA or a published
tariff as alternatives in the reference guide as Nick points out, and you
are certainly within your bounds to explore the options.  If the project
is an addition to an existing campus, you may also have a custom agreement
in place that will cover the project.  Be sure that you can document where
the rate comes from if you use it.

Also some states are deregulated electricity markets (such as Illinois) --
so even though you may find an applicable tariff (on ComEd's website as an
example) there are only a few customers that would use it.  Most larger
clients in these states are purchasing electric commodity through a retail
energy supplier and using only the delivery rate from the utility.

In locations where demand charges are high, a project that takes measures
to reduce peak energy usage and demand could show a higher savings using
the tariff, since the EIA data is flat-rate.  Definitely seek out the
actual information in these locations.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates