[Bldg-sim] Is there a point to "virtual partitions"?

Cheney chenyu73 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 26 22:42:07 PST 2011

Hi Chris and Curtis,

An interesting topic...

Curtis, please advice. The virtual partition, to my understanding, is
actually No partition. If there is no partition, why color or spectrum
characteristics will take effect? I am not so familiar with Energy Plus, but
does it have two types of "virtual partition", one is IR transparent and one
is not? I also did a quick test in IES VE which can calculate long wave
radiant exchange. The way to define virtual partition in IES VE is simply to
cut a 100% hole on a solid partition. I tested one room with a window first
and the same room divided into 3 equivalent spaces by virtual partitions. It
shows the results obtained from the two models are quite similar. It accords
with your test by Energy Plus.

Chris, I agree with you that virtual partition is not a 'must' to the
perimeter zone. However, in some projects, it is certainly a simplification:
without putting up daylight sensor and conducting extra lighting
calculation, you can input LPD obtained from lighting designer directly; Or
sometimes mechanical designer has specific design in perimeter area
and virtual partition method can easily accommodate it without modifying the
whole room...etc...etc...

Regards,
Cheney