[Bldg-sim] Energy Prices (UNCLASSIFIED)

Bob Fassbender bobfass11 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 14 12:11:38 PST 2011

John-
The statewide EIA rates are available for free if you are using TRACE 700 (and possibly eQUEST soon, keep reading), I maintain free updated library members (using EIA data)at http://energy-models.com/downloads (you do have to sign up to download, but it is free and we keep your address private)
It takes quite a while to maintain these rates, and I am currently in the process of automating the process for eQUEST (which is more work). However, there hasn't been too much interest in the TRACE 700 rates, so I don't know if it is worth making all the eQUEST rates. There is a survey on the homepage - energy-models.com - if you wish to show your interest to get this process expedited.
EIA rates are good for a start, but I agree with Nick about using the actual rates, especially since LEED points are based on $ savings and not energy. The EIA rates are "Linear" with energy vs. costs. However, in many actual rates, saving 10% in energy (or demand) may correspond with say 20% cost savings. LEED was intended to work in such a way, so that in "the big picture" there is greater energy savings, ie, utility companies can run more efficiently.
However, the average rates are a great place to start, no doubt, especially considering the complexity of many rate structures.
Anyway, if you are interested in eQUEST EIA values, please vote on the homepage at energy-models.com.
Thanks,
Bob