[Bldg-sim] SHGC adjustment and LEED impact q?

Nikola Kravik nkravik at mazzetti.com
Tue Jul 12 13:06:38 PDT 2011

Hi,

Can the statement on the SHGC reduction below (0.29 down to 0.25) be true if you have a lot of framing?
I've always increased the U value to adjust for the frame effect, but never decreased the SHGC~ 13%; I've actually left it same as the COG SHGC, now I'm asked to plug this 0.25 instead of 0.29;
Can anyone share thoughts if this will fly with LEED v3 since I believe that  a 4'x6' window can't be slightly lower on SHGC but not 13%?

.......that the glazing selected (VNE1-63) has the highest light-to-solar-gain ratio of any one available<http://www.viracon.com/downloads/resources/BDESSustainableFlyer.pdf>.  The SHGC at center-of-glass is 0.29, and scaled to account for framing the unit SHGC is 0.25-exactly the ASHRAE reference value for our climate zone 2A....referring to ASH 90.1-2007;

I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,