[Bldg-sim] SHGC adjustment and LEED impact q?

Robby Oylear robbyoylear at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 09:36:14 PDT 2011

Hi Nikola,

In order to meet LEED EAp2 Minimum Energy Performance, the project must
comply with all mandatory provisions of ASHRAE 90.1-2007.  Section 5.4.2
Fenestration and Doors requires that fenestration performanc be determined
per section 5.8.2.  Section 5.8.2.5 Solar Heat Gain Coefficient requires
that the SHGC for the overall fenestration area (including framing) be
determined in accordance with NFRC 200.

If you read the exceptions, what you have done previously (use COG SHGC) is
an acceptable method per 5.8.2.5 exception b.  The method described in your
quote below is not acceptable unless you are provided with an NFRC
simulation or certified product number showing that the SHGC is 0.25 when
framing is accounted for per NFRC 200.

*Robby Oylear, **LEED®AP BD+C***

*Mechanical Project Engineer*

*Energy Analyst*

*RUSHING* | *D* 206-788-4571 | *C* 206-354-2721

*www.rushingco.com* <http://www.rushingco.com/>