[Bldg-sim] Energy Model Costs

Donal O'Connor oconnor_dj at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:13:52 PDT 2011

Hey,

I know there was a discussion on this a few months back but one
area which the discussion did not cover was regarding the time it takes
for energy model simulations. I am currently working on my first LEED
project which is a complex university lab building. I am using IES VE to
 model the building. After a long process I am finally nearing project
completion. However, I found myself spending a huge amount of time
waiting during simulations. Using a computer with the spec recommended
by IES VE for large projects, the full PRM simulation took approximately
 30 hours (6 hours for each - proposed, baseline 0, baseline 90,
baseline 180 and baseline 270). As my bosses are looking to me for ideas
 regarding cost for future projects, does one account for simulation
time in the price or how is this done?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Donal