[Bldg-sim] 90.1-2010 question

David Eldridge dse at grummanbutkus.com
Wed Jul 6 15:30:17 PDT 2011

I always interpreted this the other way -- if the space adjacent to the
opening was small, then it was itself the vestibule.

I can see your point about adding cost to a small building -- but 1,000 ft2
is so small relative the scale of most buildings that it seems like this is
describing a space to me.

The wording would normally be "located in a climate zone" AND "that are less
than 1,000 ft2" if you meant for them to be both referring to the
buildings...unless there is a possibility that the entrance is not in the
same climate zone as the rest of the building ;)

Since "AND" is not there, if you delete the wording about the climate zone
from the sentence, it seems to clearly refer to the entrances and not the
building.

"Building...that are less than 1,000 ft2..."  ---> grammar guru rejects this
one

"Building entrances...that are less than 1,000 ft2..."  ---> grammar guru
celebrates, saves energy, and provides great IEQ!

So that said...anyone check the User's Manual?  This seems like a good item
to be included.  Maybe also a COMCheck envelope compliance report, I don't
recall the exact wording used there.  Perhaps it prints out the AHJ's
checklist with clearer wording.  I don't remember if this is included in
that checklist off the top of my head though.

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Project Manager

Direct: (847) 316-9224 | Fax: (847) 328-4550

Grumman/Butkus Associates | 820 Davis Street, Suite 300 | Evanston, IL 60201
Energy Efficiency Consultants and Sustainable Design Engineers