[Bldg-sim] How have you approached... (UNCLASSIFIED)

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Wed Jul 20 06:40:12 PDT 2011

I agree with John, I've done this on a model before and its painful.  Assuming there are 10 hours in a work day, I set up 10 different occupancy and lighting schedules, each schedule being essentially identical except for a different hour of zero occupancy / lighting.  I then applied these 10 schedules to the different office zones on a floor so that specific areas were vacant from 8am-9am, some vacant from 9am-10am, etc.  And then for my system, I assumed relatively consistent 10% non-occupied conditions and reduced the OA at the system level accordingly.  If your non-occupied conditions are more drastic (30%), obviously you can set up your schedules differently.

However, if your primary air is also cooling (and not some sort of DOAS chilled water VAV box), then you are going to also have to specify 10 separate thermostat schedules (really 20 with heating and cooling) so that the rooms do not have unmet load hours.  I'm assuming you go into setback mode when the offices are unoccupied.

However, this was under v2.0, so that was a long time ago and reviewers were not as critical in their reviews.

GHT Limited
James Hansen, P.E., LEED AP
Senior Associate
1010 N. Glebe Road, Suite 200