[Bldg-sim] equest zoning approaches

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Wed Jun 22 10:47:01 PDT 2011

I am wondering how the typical equest model is zoned.  Two scenarios:

1.  Create a zoning diagram combining like spaces on perimeters and
like spaces in interiors based on the HVAC type and
distribution.  Combine storage rooms with exhaust only with adjacent
space where the transfer air comes from, etc.  Plunk this zoning
diagram into equest.

2.  Plunk the architectural drawing into equest and every space
becomes an equest space - every closet, elevator/duct shaft, office,
small interior meeting room, janitor closets - all a space in equest.

I had always assumed that the scenario 1 would be used.  I am now
finding (by way of reviewing LEED submissions) that many people use
scenario 2.  It seems very inefficient to me and certainly increases
the cost of doing a review.

What is typical?

Chris Jones
14 Oneida Avenue