No subject

Wed Mar 16 13:13:09 PDT 2011

IES=20
<VE> both from the point of view of time taken to carry out a project,
initial learning and picking up projects again months down the line.

COST
DesignBuilder initial purchase cost is much lower than IES <VE>. One =
should=20
also bear in mind total cost of ownership rather than just initial =
purchase
cost when making the decision, including consideration of time taken to
learn software and the time it takes to create a building model.=20

HVAC MODELING
IES <VE> has a flexible modular HVAC modeling capability, but it takes a
relatively long time to learn and set up a particular model. It does not
model water side.

DesignBuilder has compact HVAC which allows typical HVAC systems to be=20
modeled quickly and easily, but is currently lacking in flexibility.
DesignBuilder version 1.3 (to be released end May) will be a significant
improvement with almost full implementation of EnergyPlus compact HVAC=20
systems. Many advanced DesignBuilder users use the software for =
exporting
EnergyPlus IDF building descriptions for more detailed modeling in the
EnergyPlus editor.=A0=A0DesignBuilder version 2 (to be released early =
2008) will

have a full diagrammatic modular HVAC UI providing access to most of the
EnergyPlus HVAC systems.

OTHER CAPABILITIES
IES <VE> has a much wider range of other applications linked into the
virtual environment including pipe and duct sizing, radiance, CFD, 3-D =
CAD=20
interoperability through gbXML.

DesignBuilder is a more focused building energy simulation, thermal =
design
and visualization product. DesignBuilder version 2 will have =
high-quality
CFD simulations and 3-D CAD interoperability through gbXML (as well as =
the=20
above-mentioned diagrammatic EnergyPlus HVAC editor).

Best regards,

Mahabir

Mahabir Bhandari, Ph.D.
LEED=AE Accredited Professional