[Bldg-sim] 90.1 Appendix G - Resizing Baseline Systems to Meet Unmet Load Requirements (G3.1.2.2)

Kerry Gorczynski kgorczynski at olace.com
Wed Mar 23 11:52:52 PDT 2011

Hello Everyone,

I know there have been quite a few posts in the past regarding the definition and clarification of unmet hours in an energy model.  I had a question outside of that - particularly when the baseline system needs to be resized to meet the requirements of G3.1.2.2:

If unmet load hours in the proposed design exceed the unmet load hours in the baseline building by more than 50, simulated capacities in the baseline building shall be decreased incrementally and the building resimulated until the unmet load hours are within 50 of the unmet load hours of the proposed design.

When we do this, do we need to resize the CFM of the system to maintain the supply-air-to-room-air temperature difference of 20°F, etc. used in sizing the baseline?  I could see this becoming a lengthy process of reducing cooling capacity, then fan CFM, etc. and was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it.

Thanks,
Kerry