[Bldg-sim] Fundamentals: SEER/HSPF conversions

Kruis, Neal Neal.Kruis at nrel.gov
Tue Mar 8 12:01:01 PST 2011

Nick,

The relationship between SEER and EER is going to vary from system to system and does not depend on the climate. Take a look at the AHRI certified product database:

http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridirectory/pages/home.aspx

They report both SEER and EER for all air conditioners and heat pumps that have been tested. There is no way to convert directly between SEER and EER (or HSPF and COP) without having the results from the all of the AHRI tests which are usually kept confidential. The approximation of 0.875 accounts for part load cycling losses, but also how the system performs at other test conditions. It is probably a fair assumption, though you might want to check out the Building America House Simulation Protocol which uses:

EER = -0.02*SEER^2 + 1.12*SEER

This is based on a thesis written by a student at University of Colorado. The same thesis used:

COP_47 = -0.026*HSPF^2 + 0.624*HSPF

Here is the reference for the thesis:

Wassmer, M. (2003). A Component-Based Model for Residential Air Conditioner and Heat Pump Energy Calculations. Masters Thesis, University of Colorado at Boulder.

Hope this helps,

Neal Kruis
Electricity, Resources & Building Systems Integration
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd. MS 5202
Golden, CO 80401
(303) 384-7384