[Bldg-sim] Print Utility for IDF files

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Sun Mar 6 20:08:05 PST 2011

If this print utility is as an aide to model quality checking one
pattern to follow is that used by the ESP-r simulation suite
for its model contents report.  It decodes most of the data
in the model files into a quazi-human-readable
form with various derived attributes added.

We find that such model contents documents, which are
designed for QA staff, are a good way of detecting patterns
in descriptive information which is difficult, if not impossible,
to detect on a computer monitor.  Just printing
the literal contents of an IDF file does not necessarily
help - it is formatted for machine reading and does not
join together distributed information that
eyes are good at making sense of.

And model QA reports, if generated at different stages
of a model evolution, are great for visual difference
checks about 'what has changed' and 'what is still left to do'.

Indeed, Lind Lawrie and I discussed the need for an
alternative QA process for EnergyPlus models - if you check
IDF files regularly there seems to be a correlation with grey
hair.

And to balance out this QA report there is a chapter in the
ESP-r Cookbookthat gives guidance on how to interpret
the contents of the report and what key words to look for
and patterns to look for and stages when reports are
particularly useful.

The model report is rather large for inclusion in a Bldg-sim
email but if anyone is interested I would be happy to
forward some typical reports and the documentation that
supports its use.

Regards, Jon Hand
jon at esru.strath.ac.uk