[Bldg-sim] [Ibpsausa] DOE Job Task Analysis for EnergyModelers: Open for public comment until Nov. 28th

Karen Walkerman kwalkerman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 10:57:40 PST 2011

I've been following this discussion closely and want to add a few things:

1.  The value of energy modeling has so far not been realized due to the
emphasis of using modeling on the back-end for LEED points and incentives,
instead of on the front end for design decision making.  As long as we are
arguing about the 'importance' of energy modeling, we need to recognize
this fact.

2.  Any time a new job description, exam or set of prerequisites is put
forth, many energy modelers get defensive or nervous because they might be
a very capable modeler, but their particular educational background or set
of skills does not fit into the current box that is drawn.  For example,
engineers often are the ones completing energy models because on any given
project team they usually have the best understanding of how the HVAC
systems in the building work.  As a result, I often see "licensed PE"
associated with energy modelers.  MEP professionals and energy modelers
share many skills, including understanding of HVAC systems and controls
systems and a fundamental knowledge of thermodynamics.  However, there are
many skills MEP professionals need that energy modelers do not need.  MEP
professionals also need to know how to size ductwork, select appropriate
components, create a set of drawings, write specifications and complete a
punch list.

Likewise with architects, many skills overlap between their discipline and
energy modeling, but energy modelers don't need to know how to size
structural elements or create a rendering.

In addition, there are many skills that are not inherent in either of the
two above professions, that are required for energy modeling.  Most
important is an in-depth knowledge of the available computer programs,
including their abilities and limitations.  I have also found that a good
understanding of computer programming has been invaluable as a way to
respect and use the software for it's strengths.

--
Karen