[Bldg-sim] why the autosized design air flow rate differ so much in different floor?

Nick Caton ncaton at smithboucher.com
Mon Feb 27 13:15:42 PST 2012

An extension of Robert’s advice:  Check your first floor’s inputs for increased infiltration loads the second floor does not have.  This behavior may be normal, considering doors/vestibules/windows.

I don’t think I’m totally following your exhaust strategy, but another general caution per your word choice:   You may not want to have a “roof” on your first floor.  If you ultimately do have a  roof (exterior) surface sandwiched between your floors (easy mistake if you defined each floor as a separate shell), you have possibly nearly doubled your roof loads for the building.  Much further discussion on this and how to handled inter-floor heat transfer in the archives, but planes sandwiched between shells should generally be either interior surfaces of some sort (air/framed/adiabatic), or deleted.

~Nick

[cid:489575314 at 22072009-0ABB]

NICK CATON, P.E.
SENIOR ENGINEER