[Bldg-sim] EE4 (DOE-2.1E) Water-Side Economizer Issue

Jake Martell jmartell at mreng.ca
Tue Jul 24 10:35:31 PDT 2012

Hello,

-I am looking to simulate a water-side economizer in EE4 (DOE-2.1E) by
altering the .doe file.

-I have added the highlighted text below into the "Plant-Parameters" section
of the .doe file.

PLANT-PARAMETERS

      BOILER-CONTROL     = STANDBY

      HW-BOILER-HIR     = 1.0870

      CHILLER-CONTROL    = STANDBY

$ Cooling Tower $

      TWR-SETPT-CTRL     = FIXED

      TWR-SETPT-T        = 85.0

      TWR-DESIGN-WETBULB = 73.0

      TWR-DESIGN-APPROACH= 12.0

      TWR-DESIGN-RANGE   = 10.0

      TWR-THROTTLE       = 5

      TWR-CAP-CTRL    = ONE-SPEED-FAN

      TWR-CELL-CTRL      = MIN-CELLS

      DIRECT-COOL-MODE = STRAINER-CYCLE

      DC-MAX-OAT = 39.0

      DC-MAX-CHILL-WTR-T = 44.0

      DC-TWR-WTR-SETPT = 44.0

      DIRECT-COOL-KW = 0.055

$ Condenser Water Pumps $

      TWR-MOTOR-EFF      = 0.917

      TWR-IMPELLER-EFF   = 0.790

      TWR-PUMP-HEAD      = 60.00

 ..

-After running the simulation and comparing it to previous results, there
are savings on "Space Cooling" but there is also a greater energy usage in
"Heat Reject" as show in the table below.  The DOE-2 guide suggests entering
the condenser water pumping power as kW/ton but maybe I should be entering 0
for DIRECT-COOL-KW if I'm accounting for the condenser water pumps twice?
This is for a project in Nova Scotia so I think there should be savings from
turning off the chillers throughout the winter but it doesn't make sense
based on these results.

Energy Use Category

Before Change

After Change

Savings

(MBtu)

(MBtu)

(MBtu)

% Sav

Area Lights

2,252.2

2,252.2

0

0.0%

Misc. Equipment

1,629.1

1,629.1

0

0.0%

Space Heat

2,062.0

2,062.0

0

0.0%

Space Cool

615.6

475.7

140

22.7%

Heat Reject

121.5

295.6

-174

-143.3%

Pumps & Misc.

1,136.2

1,136.2

0

0.0%

Vent Fans

2,168.4

2,168.4

0

0.0%

DomHot Water

587.6

587.6

0

0.0%

TOTAL

10,572.6

10,606.8

-34

-0.3%

Best regards,

Jake R. Martell, EIT

Mechanical Engineer-in-Training

t: (902) 422-7393

f: (902) 423-4945

e:  <mailto:jmartell at mreng.ca> jmartell at mreng.ca

The electronic message contained herein is private and confidential,
intended only for the recipient(s) specified. If you have received this
message in error, please delete it and notify us immediately. Any
accompanying files are supplied as a matter of courtesy only. The data are
without warranty of any kind. Any person or business making use of the data
is responsible for confirming its accuracy and completeness. M&R Engineering
Ltd. is not responsible for edited or produced versions of this digital
information.