[Bldg-sim] [EnergyPlus_Support] Food for thought....

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Thu Jun 28 13:13:49 PDT 2012

Jim,

Sorry if I came off as a little smug.  You've actually put in words the main reason why I
think building energy modelers have steered away from using historical weather data, which
is simply that of  convenience, i.e., there are a lot of "typical year" weather files
floating around, but getting hold of
a usable historical year weather file takes a little more work.

For the study that I mentioned, Dru and I did not have to do anything because the SANSOM
data set,
available from NCDC, contained 25 years of historical weather files for 239 cities (same
as TMY2s).

That was in 1996, and the availability of historical weather data has only increased
exponentially since
then, although the building energy modeling community seems curiously to not have followed.
The most notable change, in my view, is NCDC's decision to put the entire ISH (Integrated
Surface Hourly) data online in 2005, and then to make it free to all in 2011.  This means
that the raw weather reports
from major stations around the world ( ~ 1,500 in the US) are available stretching back to
1980.

I've been working with the ISH for many years now, and am able to generate complete
weather files from any ISH file within seconds, and have been providing that as a service
to customers.  Sometime later this
year, I'll be rolling out something on the Web, but for now, those interested can just
send me an e-mail.

The idea that the ISH is of questionable quality is, in my view, rather backwards.  The
ISH is a repository of the weather reports by the "official" weather stations around the
world, so if you can't trust that, what can you trust?

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D