[Bldg-sim] [EnergyPlus_Support] Food for thought....

Chris Jones cj at enersave.ca
Thu Jun 28 15:44:41 PDT 2012

The discussion has become two discussions -
weather data and processing. And calibrating to
TRY (what I call acutal weather data for the same
billing period) or TMY, tyipcal weather data.

Environment had a number of weather stations with
hourly data - some with full weather data and
some with only a few data channels.  Some
stations were daytime hours only.  One had to
request a period of data and pay a setup
fee.  The setup fee was more than the data fee so
it paid to request a bunch of sites at the same time.
We have an old C-code processor that converts the
EC data into an old DOE2.1e format text format
for conversion to a .WTH binary weather
file.  The processor could use a number of
different channels depending on the weather
site.  The input file signalled what channels
were coming in the text file.  The Hirsh
processor can convert .WTH files to .bin files.

Environment Canada now has hourly data available
for much fewer sites.  Cut backs closed dozens of
sites across the country.  There is a significant
difference in weather between places like
Revelstoke and the closest site with TMY
weather.  With the availability of stations
smaller places, one could aggregate a weather
file that captured the differences in temperature and humidity at least.

The good thing to happen with Environment Canada
is that the WEB site makes hourly data available
on line for a large number of stations across the
country.  You can download a month at a time to a
.csv file.  We now have a spreadsheet with the
appropriate psychometric functions that converts
the EC data to TRY data.  We just save the data
to a text file for the Hirsh weather processor.

We use these TRY files for M&V projects.