[Bldg-sim] Fresh air calculation for naturally ventilated building

Chris Yates chris.malcolm.yates at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 10:20:31 PDT 2012

Sadaf,

I did this on a LEED platinum project a while back. I recall that we had
to invoke a couple of clauses in ASHRAE 62.1 to allow us to use thermal
modelling with CO2 as the metric (at the time 62.1 only had a very basic
natural ventilation rule of thumb such as minimum distance between
occupants and openings). IES was used for the analysis, but you could
use any thermal modelling program that incorporates network air flow
(e.g. E+, TAS, IDA).

Without being able to get access to the latest 62.1 I can't help further
- sorry.

You might have trouble meeting ASHRAE 55, depending on your climate.

Hope this helps.

Chris