[Bldg-sim] Fresh air calculation for naturally ventilatedbuilding

Aaron Smith asmith at mreng.ca
Thu Sep 13 13:58:56 PDT 2012

Sadaf,

ASHRAE 62 has three paths of compliance:

1.	The Ventilation Rate Procedure (VRP) is a prescriptive option which
means looking up airflow rates in the tables and doing some calculations.
This is the most common path but would normally apply to mechanically
ventilated buildings.
2.	The Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) procedure is performance based which
requires a Mass Balance Analyses (can be done through modeling).  There was
a recent article about this in the June ASHRAE Journal if you are a member.
This can apply to natural or mechanically ventilated buildings.
3.	The Natural Ventilation Procedure (NVP) which states specific
requirements for opening areas.

I believe LEED generally requires you to follow the VRP or NVP but my LEED
2009 says you can show compliance with "acceptable engineering calculations
or multi-nodal bulk airflow simulation" which I think means following the
IAQ procedure.

Aaron

Aaron Smith, P.Eng

LEEDR AP BD+C, M-ASHRAE, Mechanical Engineer

t: (902) 422-7393

f: (902) 423-4945

e:  <mailto:asmith at mreng.ca> asmith at mreng.ca

The electronic message contained herein is private and confidential,
intended only for the recipient(s) specified. If you have received this
message in error, please delete it and notify us immediately.  Any
accompanying files are supplied as a matter of courtesy only.  The data are
without warranty of any kind.  Any person or business making use of the data
is responsible for confirming its accuracy and completeness.  M&R
Engineering Ltd. is not responsible for edited or produced versions of this
digital information.

  _____