[Bldg-sim] Fan Power

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Sun Feb 24 19:02:56 PST 2013

Well, OK, I will bow to your expertise, but a 44% motor sounds pretty
dismal to me, as you suggest.

Would a conservative number be 20%, air to wire?  Is so, I am looking
for FAN efficiency.  NOT motor or drive efficiency, which are taken care
of by the modeling software separately.

Would 50% for FAN efficiency by reasonable?

If so, this allows me to use the theoretical air BHP equation to
calculate fan BHP at design conditions using 50% fan efficiency. This
would be a big breakthrough for me, actually.

I do like the idea of actual testing, which is rare as hen's teeth.
Even amp numbers are way too high.  I have had RLA that show more HP
than the nominal motor HP.  That's gotta be wrong.

I have not seen a single ECM fan coil unit with an improved fan BHP.
Not one.  If you got one, please share your knowledge!

Cheers from sunny California.

Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068