[Bldg-sim] LEED - What does it take?

Dennis Knight dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com
Wed Jan 16 14:56:46 PST 2013

Nick,
I agree with you, and depending on what you are using as your evaluation
criteria throw in COP and other metrics as well.  If you have the
opportunity of working directly with the Owners early you should help them
set an energy target for the project or help them establish energy
efficiency standards for all energy using/consuming systems and components.
 A 10% improvement in your big three will not necessarily translate into a
10% improvement in total energy consumption of the whole building if that
is what Robert is trying to achieve.  It is a team effort and the owner has
to be at the top of the pyramid.  The owner has to be in the driver's seat
and buy into all of this in order to "burst the bubbles" of silo thinking
team members.  It is, after all, the owner's money.  Neither trades people
nor designers should be making decisions for the owner that the owner does
not understand or that does not meet the owners project requirements,
budget and expectations.
Dennis

M. Dennis Knight, P.E.
Founder & CEO