[Bldg-sim] LEED - What does it take? (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dennis Knight dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com
Wed Jan 23 09:26:26 PST 2013

Hi all,
I have been away from this conversation for a couple of days due to a death
in my family.
This conversation is great. I'm not sure we have ever really answered
Roberts original question though.
First - my apologies to Vikram for misquoting his statement about LEED
being cost centric in lieu of consumption focused a couple of days ago. He
is absolutely correct.

I agree with several of the thoughts in this recent thread. Stepping away
from modeling for a few thoughts.  Controls, or lets say operations, are
key. We have some very sophisticated control systems installed in the field
and some pretty slick dashboards and analytic software available to look at
building use, energy efficiency, indoor air quality, indoor comfort, human
behavior and user feedback networks. Some are going so far as to measure
the heart rate and respiration rate of a person in a cubicle and begin to
inform control decisions unknown to the occupant. This is all good stuff.

However, it's my experience that many of the larger control systems rely on
legacy code and programs that are often 20 to 30 years old (nothing
necessarily wrong with that if it works). But what I've seen is the
technology is well beyond most average facility managers training to fully
utilize, it's beyond most of the control technicians installing the systems
skill sets to set up properly (when I commission a control system I often
see where the technician has pulled in literally dozens of legacy, canned
sequences and then blocked or turned off much of the code trying to meet a
specified sequence of operations, gets confused and can't hardly tell what
sequence or logic is being used to control the system at the end of the
day). In most cases the owner does not get properly trained and the
valuable, somewhat self heeling features of a lot of control systems,
alerts and notifications never even get set up.

To bring that back to modeling, much of the modeling software we use for
design cannot model most control sequences we can dream up and most
engineers are still using modeling for load design only - they write a
sequence and expect a control contractor to be able to make it work
- energy models are only being applied when a client or a rating system
require it.

To tie back to John's last comment below - 100% agreement - our local
school district, 150 buildings, 8 million sf, $11 million per year in
utilities has a dedicated energy manager and a very sophisticated facility
management system. They are beginning to save upwards of 10 to 15 percent
just by analyzing utility interval data on their larger, more energy
intensive schools, finding and turning off as much as possible when not
needed. They are doing this without energy efficiency upgrades or control
upgrades. Then they are setting energy targets, recalibrating their control
systems setting up good alerts and notifications in the system to squeeze
everything out of what they have and finally writing a strategic energy
management plan for future construction and upgrades. They are fixing their
problems and turning things off first before buying more bells and
whistles. There is something to be said for simplicity.  It seems to be
working.

To Jame's point - existing buildings are at a disadvantage. With more
efficient lighting and more efficient HVAC equipment I'm seeing plug loads
and water heating use bigger pieces of the pie chart.

--
M. Dennis Knight, P.E.
Founder & CEO
Email: dknight at wholebuildingsystems.com