[Bldg-sim] LEED - What does it take? (UNCLASSIFIED)

RobertWichert robert at wichert.org
Wed Jan 23 09:48:01 PST 2013

Thanks to everyone, and this thread can go as long as we want it to.
For me, I got three or four main points:

1.    To achieve anything, all systems must achieve the same result.  If
one doesn't pull its weight, well, the goal is missed.  I had this
resolved on a two hour telephone call with the lighting engineers on the
project I was working on when I asked the original question.  This
helped a lot and got the lighting systems pulling their share of the
load.  Likewise windows, walls, roofs, and mechanical systems.

2.    My experience with the same project, using Energy Pro for
modeling, shows that SEER 15 gives about 15% better building results
than SEER 13, which is to be expected from the math, but unless all the
systems achieve 15% better, well, you don't make that goal.  SEER 17
does NOT give 30% better building results. More like 20% better and
again, all the systems need to pull their weight.  In my climate zone
(CA central valley), more SEER does not equate linearly to more
performance.  Ever higher numbers give less marginal improvement.  I
believe this is also to be expected given the fact that infinite SEER
doesn't give infinite savings and all savings due to SEER require a load
to be met.  I still don't have a good handle on this, but I'm getting
closer.

3.    Controls are key.  I just implemented a pneumatic to DDC changeout
along with some split systems for critical zones for the purpose of
shutting down the systems at night and on weekends. Big savings there.
But if the controls aren't right, well, you get the idea.

4.    Process loads can eat you up.  Shut them down!

5.    Utility rates rule the roost.  If you can use this to your
advantage, it can be a big advantage.

Great conversation, folks.  Thanks for taking the time to think and reply...

Cheers from warming California - No frost this morning.  Are you jealous?

Robert Wichert P.Eng. LEED AP BD&C
+1 916 966 9060
FAX +1 916 966 9068