[Bldg-sim] Energy Model from Green Star (LEED) to predictive model

Jim Dirkes jim at buildingperformanceteam.com
Mon Jan 28 12:13:04 PST 2013

Nice graphs, Chris!  Even nicer calibration!
Random comment regarding % deviation for an individual month: Natural gas consumption often goes to near-zero in summer months.  This sometimes makes any deviation from the actual usage a very large number, which in reality may be a tiny fraction of total use.  There's no simple solution for this; it's not worth worrying about the deviation because it's so small a fraction of overall use, but it looks really bad to non-technical readers.  I've been reporting R-squared values calculated from the monthly deviation.  Not perfect, but it places the focus on the overall month-by-month match instead of a single month.

Morgan, you apparently work with excellent commissioning agents and very responsible owner / building managers!  10% sounds too good to be true.

James V Dirkes II, PE, BEMP, LEED AP
www.buildingperformanceteam.com<http://www.buildingperformanceteam.com/>
Energy Analysis, Commissioning & Training Services
1631 Acacia Drive, Grand Rapids, MI 49504 USA
616 450 8653