[Bldg-sim] 90.1 G3.1.3.13 and eQuest

James Hansen JHANSEN at ghtltd.com
Mon Jul 8 07:37:01 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

I wanted to do a gut check of whether I'm interpreting ASHRAE 90.1-2007
Section G3.1.3.13 correctly.

That section says:

G3.1.3.13     VAV Minimum Flow Setpoints (Systems 5 and 7). Minimum
volume setpoints for VAV reheat boxes shall be 0.4 cfm/ft2 of floor area
served or the minimum ventilation rate, whichever is larger.

I have a number of System 5s for a warehouse facility with very low
heating/cooling loads.

If I set the minimum flow for all zones to 0.4 in this screen, it ends
up substantially over-supplying the baseline zones.

Since there are maximum cooling supply temperatures (60 degrees), I end
up overcooling the zones even at minimum load, so there is reheat.
There is also cooling energy to get the supply temps down to 60.

Am I doing anything "wrong"?

I seem to be following the requirements of 90.1, just want to make sure
there isn't an exception somewhere that I'm missing.

Thanks!

GHT Limited
James Hansen, P.E., LEED AP
Senior Associate