[Bldg-sim] Modelling simplification for structural concrete columns

Patrick Bivona patrick.bivona at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 23:53:29 PDT 2013

Joe, Edwin,

I take your point that I'm probably too literal in my attempt at modelling
the geometry of this wall.

Thanks for the collegial suggestion about THERM. It seems really good and
I'm pretty sure it's going to be useful to me further down the line.

The building I'm modelling is a tower with a square floor section of
1400m2. There are only a few uninsulated columns but they are relatively
big (1.2m wide, 2m deep) and spaced by 8m or 18m. It doesn't seem
appropriate to me to give an overall U-value to the assembly, spreading the
effect of the columns over such "long distances". I'd rather model the
columns as surfaces separate from the  surrounding walls, especially as
they are glazed curtain walls.

Patrick