[Bldg-sim] Modelling simplification for structural concrete columns

Graham Carter & Megan Lyall hamnmegs at ozemail.com.au
Fri Mar 15 21:47:19 PDT 2013

Joe & Mike's advice to use THERM is something I would support to convert a two dimensional heat transfer problem into one dimensional properties which most energy simulations are based on.  We have good success with this method when looking at edge beams and band beams that in the past have not been continuously insulated and where the extended surface area is significantly different from the projected surface area.

I assume your column has insulation somewhere?  While in annual energy terms the effect of insulating would be call if not a negative effect due to reduced free cooling, the effects in winter could be quite problematic.  The column surface temperatures will be very cool in winter after a weekend and I doubt anyone could sit near them comfortably unless insulated or compensated in some way (temperature, radiant heating etc).

I have had a few projects over the year where band or edge beams between carparks and office spaces have not been continuously insulated.  We have taken IR gun surface temperature measurements, modelled in THERM, taken THERM results to develop IES inputs and simulated remedial measures successfully and quite accurately relative to what the simulation would suggest.

Not knowing your climate zone, you can run different scenarios (boundary conditions and materials) in THERM to get a feel as to whether you have a radiant temperature asymmetry issue in winter.

So comfort not energy will (or should) govern the need to insulate...

Regards,
Graham