[Bldg-sim] Modelling simplification for structural concrete columns

Wealend, Edwin e.wealend at cundall.com
Sun Mar 17 19:25:14 PDT 2013

Patrick,

Those are some mighty columns!

I think it depends on what you're trying to achieve with the model. If you're looking at radiant temperatures, local thermal comfort or similar, then I would agree that taking an area weighted approach is going to neglect important local differences due to thermal inertia and other factors. However, if you're looking at the energy use of the entire building, and it's conditioned 24 hours, or in a climate with negligible diurnal swing, or with limited thermal mass generally, I would still say that a simplified approach would give you results that are accurate enough. I concur with Joe on the point about thermal bridging. Particularly if the remainder if the façade is insulated. Most construction inputs in energy modelling software don't accurately account for thermal bridging, so if you think they're going to be significant, then use a separate 2D calculation software and adjust your u-values appropriately.

That said, as they're relatively large and it's easy enough to divide up the walls into separate constructions, as it is with software like IES, then by all means model them separately and apply a different construction.

Much of the importance of the above is also dependant on the climate your build is in. E.g. Un-insulated concrete columns in a northern European climate are a terrible idea and will come with a big energy penalty. In warmer climates, their contribution to the overall energy of the building will be much smaller and your efforts on the accuracy of their modelling may be better spent looking at something like the fresh air or building leakage.

Regards,
Ed

Edwin Wealend
Senior Engineer

CUNDALL Hong Kong
9th Floor Chinachem Johnston Plaza
178-186 Johnston Road
Wanchai, Hong Kong
tel:    +852 2566 6205
fax:   +852 2566 6235

P  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail
Important Notice.  Use of this email and any attachments is subject to the terms on www.cundall.com.hk<http://www.cundall.com.hk/>
Please read that notice before proceeding.
If you cannot access these terms please telephone (852) 2566 6260 or reply to this email and we will send you a copy