[Bldg-sim] Really need some deep DOE-2 theology on this one..

Patrick J. O'Leary, Jr. poleary1969 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 18:41:19 PDT 2013

this sounds like you have multiple shells in one model for this to
occur?  i'm pretty sure equest views an exterior wall/roof as an
exterior wall/roof even if it is bounded by an interior wall.  i had
this problem come up on one of my own models where i ended up having a
building wing meet the building trunk & as i had put them in as 2
separate shells equest did not recognize the dividing wall where the
wing met the trunk as being an interior wall & assigned it (via the
wizard) an exterior wall definition.  i didn't catch this until
reviewing the unmet load hour ss-r & s-va reports & couldn't figure out
why the load was so high.  changed the definition of the wall to
interior (with a door) in detailed mode and the unmet load hours went to
zero and the load came down.

my understanding (in my case) is that if you create multiple shells and
place them with a common wall that you want to be an interior the shell
rotations need to be zero, even if you have the separation between the
two shells occur at a 45 deg angle (then ask mr. architect about that one).