[Bldg-sim] Fw: Need help related to building energy simulation

David Eldridge DEldridge at grummanbutkus.com
Sat Feb 1 10:59:13 PST 2014

Syed, I wouldn't necessarily consider room air-conditioning systems to be "non-HVAC" - the last two letters stand for "air" and "conditioning" after all!

But whatever we want to call it, you can certainly make a model for these types of systems in eQUEST, OpenStudio/EnergyPlus, etc. and other free and fee software packages.

The bigger unknowns for you will probably how to model the buildings rather than the A/C systems, although you may also have some questions about the age and efficiency of the units that you are considering, if you are modeling typical existing units. Availability of data for new units of this type should be easier to acquire.

Depending on what you are doing with the energy usage data that you collect, would it be possible for you to measure the electricity usage for some of these systems in your region instead of model them?

Good luck!

David

David S. Eldridge, Jr., P.E., LEED AP BD+C, BEMP, BEAP, HBDP
Grumman/Butkus Associates