[Bldg-sim] Occupancy loads of a typical American typical family in a small container house

Julien Marrec julien.marrec at gmail.com
Thu Jul 3 01:02:03 PDT 2014

Atila,

This is a very small home. It's not different than a 400 sf 2-BR apartment.
You'd probably be on the high range of typical loads encountered in such
spaces considering you've got 4 people in there (some appliances do scale,
others don't).

The easiest would be to get the schedules and load profile from OpenStudio
for example (MidRiseApartment, load value and profile derived from
(Hendron, 2007)).

You could also try to customize it further based on the NREL research on
the matter, which expands from several sources including RECS.

The report has some good information for your problem starting page 36,
listing a bunch of MELs (miscellaneous Electric loads) with tables of
consumption per appliances and average unit/household for approx 100 MELs.
The spreadsheet has the same information but allows you to see the hourly
profile as well as customize the appliances you do have (In particular on
tab Detailed "MEL" you can input in column D the which MELs and how many
you know you have. There's also a list of sources in there, including the
first one "Bob's judgment" :) )

NREL  2014 Building America House Simulation Protocols :
http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2014/03/f13/house_simulation_protocols_2014.pdf

Supporting spreadsheet (will save you some googling time if you try to
locate them...) : Building America Analysis Spreadsheet for New
Construction
http://energy.gov/eere/buildings/building-america-analysis-spreadsheets

(For reference that's where it started : Hendron, 2007: Building America
Research Benchmark http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy08osti/42662.pdf )

Hope this help,
Julien

--
Julien Marrec, EBCP, BPI MFBA
Ingénieur en efficacité énergétique du bâtiment

DoYouBuzz : www.doyoubuzz.com/julien-marrec_1
LinkedIn (fr) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec/fr
LinkedIn (en) : www.linkedin.com/in/julienmarrec