[Bldg-sim] How can Low-e glass have dramatically lower U-Value?

Blake, Jeff Jeff.Blake at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Wed Jul 30 07:42:02 PDT 2014

Randy,

Some of the commonly used simulation engines do account for the effects of low-e glass on window surfaces (for example, Energy Plus and ESP-r). That is to say that these engines estimate the long wave radiation from interior surfaces (and devices) to the interior surface of the glass and radiated through the various glass panes and interstitial gases to the sky/surroundings.

Low-e coatings effect the overall U-value of windows because of their effect on reflected long wave radiation. Which low-e coating is most appropriate for the North is important since the coatings will affect both the SHGC and the U-value, depending on their type, thickness and the surface they're applied to.

The results of a recent study of a Northern Canadian city (in NWT) concluded that hard coat windows, despite their higher cost and relatively higher U-value make sense in terms of both energy savings and cost-effectiveness.

Jeff Blake, P.Eng.
Sustainable Buildings & Communities | Bâtiments et des collectivités durables
CanmetENERGY | CanmetÉNERGIE
www.canmetENERGY.nrcan.gc.ca

-----Original Message-----
From: Randy Wilkinson [mailto:randallcwilkinson at gmail.com]
Sent: July 28, 2014 16:35
To: bldg-sim at lists.onebuilding.org
Subject: Re: [Bldg-sim] How can Low-e glass have dramatically lower U-Value?

I went into this thinking that the Low-e coating would simply change the SHGC and not change the U-Values much.  I suspected that Low-e coatings would NOT save energy in the far North since they would block the wanted solar heat gain.  Since the manufacturers are claiming a U-value improvement from the Low-e coating, It looks like I can't calculate the savings using our normal energy modeling software. If the U-value improvement they give is in lieu of a more direct calculation method, and is accepted by the community (you all), then I will accept and move on to the next problem.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Randy