[Bldg-sim] radiation through glazing

Joe Huang yjhuang at whiteboxtechnologies.com
Tue Mar 4 11:17:08 PST 2014

Larry,

I'm not ready to dismiss this effect totally. When I look at a plot of Low-E
transmissivity, it's shown to block anything from 800 nanometers on up, although the plot
stops at 2400 (see
http://www.leyboldoptics.com/cms/upload/downloads/S_Low_E_Coating_Apollon.pdf page 2).
Out of curiosity, I did a Google Search for "Low-E windows block cell phone signals"  and
found this question raised in various web pages.  Expanding on what I had said previously,
I do know of a building in Beijing (China Academy of Building Research) that did a facade
retrofit a few years back, after which the staff reported they could no longer get cell
phone signals.  I think I'll send my colleagues an e-mail to ask for more details.

Joe

Joe Huang
White Box Technologies, Inc.
346 Rheem Blvd., Suite 108D