[Bldg-sim] Fan powered VAV in EE4

Aaron Smith asmith at mreng.ca
Tue Mar 18 07:27:58 PDT 2014

Sebastian,

In the EE4 Modeling guide under Built-Up VAV, they state that you have the
option to choose between Series VAV Terminal and Parallel VAV Terminal but
that is greyed out in EE4.  With that being said I'm not sure what the best
way to model the system is if you stay in EE4 - you would need to account
for the intermittent terminal fan power somehow.

>From what I can tell in the DOE-2 basics guide you should model this type of
system as a Powered Induction Unit (PIU) which doesn't appear to be
available in EE4 so you would need to modify the .doe file in a text editor
and run the simulation outside of EE4.  Refer to the attached.

Regards,
Aaron

Aaron Smith, P.Eng
M&R Engineering