[Bldg-sim] Building Heat Gains

Andrew Corney andrew.corney at sefaira.com
Mon Nov 24 07:00:42 PST 2014

Hi Sambhav,

Yeah - I'd agree with Cory - you probably have a higher glazing surface
temperature with the unshaded model and I wouldn't be surprised if that is
part of the conduction equation, meaning you are less likely to gain heat
through conduction if the glazing is in full sun.

cheers,

Andrew

On Mon, Nov 24, 2014 at 2:55 PM, Duggin, Cory <Cory.Duggin at tlc-eng.com>
wrote:

> The VE doesn’t model thermal bridging, so that isn’t it.  What climate is
> your building in?  What percentage glazing are the east and west walls?
> Are you losing heat through the envelope or gaining it?  It could have to
> do with the shades blocking more sun from heating up the outside of the
> envelope on those walls, which then changes the delta T and resulting
> conduction gain.
>

> *Cory Duggin, EI, LEED AP BD+C *
>
> *Associate/Energy Engineer*
>
> *TLC Engineering for Architecture *
>
> direct:
>
> 615-346-1939

Andrew Corney
PE M.CIBSE M.ASHRAE
Product Director
Sefaira - Software for Energy Efficient Building Design
Mobile: +44 (0)7887 059 722
Office: +44 (0)2037 147 619
Skype: andrew.corney.sefaira

Sefaira - Sustainability. Performance. Design.

*For company contact and registration information, please
visit: http://www.sefaira.com/info/contact
<http://www.sefaira.com/info/contact>*

*Interested in performance based design? Subscribe here
<http://www.sefaira.com/subscribe-from-email/> to our bi-weekly newsletter.*