Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Queries with the branches

Francisco:

My apologies for the very slow response to your request.  Your
message got lost in the backlog of e-mail over the holidays.  See
answers below.

Mike Witte

On 22 Dec 2001, at 18:53, Francisco José Lara Garachana wrote:

> Some queries about the branches:
>
> - As I have understood from the InputOutput Reference a BRANCH is
> the collection of components in series.When 2 nodes are connected
> directly without any component between them, this has to be
> defined as a PIPE. A LOOP is a collection of branches (i.e. Air
> Loop) and so is requested in the Air Primary Loop Object in the
> Field Air Loop Branch List Name. As a PIPE is a branch with no
> components inside, how can I include the pipe into the Air Loop
> Branch List?

A PIPE is considered a component on a BRANCH.  So in order to include
a PIPE in a system, you must include a BRANCH in the appropriate
Branch List and then list a PIPE in the BRANCH object.  For instance,
your branch list might include a branch named "HW Bypass Branch", and
then you would have a BRANCH object by that same name and the
componenet list would be "PIPE, HW Bypass Pipe".

> - Do the Air Loop side node (Return Air Loop Inlet Node or Supply
> Air Loop Outlet Node) need to be connected with the Zone Equipment
> nodes (Zone Equip Group Outlet Node or Zone Equip Group Inlet
> Node) with a PIPE and in that case, in which loop do I have to
> include them?

No PIPE is necessary for this connection.

> - In a splitter or mixer, the inlet node(s) and the outlet node(s)
> need to be connected with a PIPE ?

No PIPE is necessary here, either.  In general, the only places where
PIPES are used are the main inlet or outlet branch of the demand-side
and supply-side of a water loop and for bypass branches if they are
used.  The best way to learn when to use PIPES is to look at the
example input files in EnergyPlus\ExampleFiles\Misc.

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!