[EnergyPlus_Support] Re: EnergyPlus Units

I just want to add my support to the plea for the availability of IP
units to the EnergyPlus software.  I am presently working with an
older building and it is confusing to try to reconcile the input and
output for EnergyPlus with the measured and documented values for the
building.  I would like to see it added to the "wish list" for future
releases.  I don't think this is a "front-end" issue which can be
relegated to the interface developers.  I would imagine it could be
as simple as a switch in the first few lines of data to the engine
which then tells the engine what units it will be receiving.

Tom

--- In EnergyPlus_Support@y..., "jmax" <jmax@s...> wrote:
> I am new to this group and probably covering ground that has been
beaten to death but here goes anyway. I realize that the SI system of
units is common to Academia where EnergyPlus originated and the
Government in it's all knowing wisdom is pushing the SI system but us
poor engineers and architects have over 100 years of drawings and
specs in the IP (Inch-Pound) system that must be translated into SI
to make it work with EnergyPlus and in my case retranslated back to
IP so I can understand the results.
> Is there a IP version of EnergyPlus?  or if not is there a way to
link EnergyPlus to an excel spread sheet so that the data can be
entered in IP transmitted to EnergyPlus in SI then have the results
transmitted back to the spread sheet so they can be converted into
IP?  Designing and programming the spread sheet for the automatic
double translation is not a big problem the real problem is the
automatic data transfer links so the data does not have to be entered
three times for each use of the program.
> Are there any suggestions out there?
> As long as we there in the USA have Existing buildings and
facilities that were designed and built with the IP units system
there will be a need for a either a translator or a IP version of
this EnergyPlus program and all of the country's academia and
governmental edicts will not change that.  Most of the existing
buildings were designed and built prior to electronic drafting
programs where the translation of the graphic part of the input data
is only a few clicks away formatting the drawing's units.  But this
still does not translate the facility design data such as air flow,
unit sizing, and etc.
> Well enough for now HELP!

Tiny Wireless Camera under $80!
Order Now! FREE VCR Commander!