Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Zone Control:Thermostatic:Control Type Schedule Name

Paul:

The values (1-4) in the control type schedule refer to the available control types as
follows:

  1 - Single Heating Setpoint

  2 - Single Cooling SetPoint

  3 - Single Heating/Cooling Setpoint

  4 - Dual Setpoint (Heating and Cooling) with deadband

So you need a schedule defined which specifies which control type is to be used for each
hour of the year.  This mapping is always true, no matter what order the control types
are listed later in the ZONE CONTROL:THERMOSTATIC object.  For a given zone, you could
have only one active type all year long, or switch between all four types at different
times of day or year.  The name of this schedule goes into the "Control Type SCHEDULE
Name" field of your ZONE CONTROL:THERMOSTATIC object.

Then, in the ZONE CONTROL:THERMOSTATIC object, you list up to four pairs of "Control
type" and "Control type name".  These four pairs are order independent, Control type #1
is just the first one you list, it is *not* linked to the 1 in the control type schedule.
 If you only use "Dual setpoint with deadband", then you would specify it as control type
#1 and control type name #1 and leave the others blank.  For example:

ZONE CONTROL:THERMOSTATIC,
    RESISTIVE ZONE Thermostat,
                             !- Thermostat Name
    RESISTIVE ZONE,          !- Zone Name
    Zone-Control-Type-Sched, !- Control Type SCHEDULE Name
    Dual Setpoint with Deadband,
                             !- Control Type #1
    RESISTIVE ZONE DualSPSched;
                             !- Control Type Name #1

DUAL SETPOINT WITH DEADBAND,
    RESISTIVE ZONE DualSPSched,
                             !- Name
    Heating-Setpoints,       !- Heating Setpoint Temperature SCHEDULE Name
    Cooling-Setpoints;       !- Cooling Setpoint Temperature SCHEDULE Name

     DAYSCHEDULE, Control Type Day Sch, Control Type,
        4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4;
     WEEKSCHEDULE, Control Type Week Sch,
        Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,
        Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,
        Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,
        Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch,Control Type Day Sch;
     SCHEDULE, Zone-Control-Type-Sched, Control Type,
        Control Type Week Sch, 1,1, 12,31;

Thanks for pointing out that you cannot clear unused control types in the idf editor.
We'll have to fix that.

Mike

On 22 Mar 2002, at 12:56, ooodard wrote:

> Hi
>
> I understand Zone Control:Thermostatic. Using the example file
> RadLoTempHydrHeatCool.idf, Zone Control:Thermostatic sets temperature
> setpoints eg 13 C at night 20 C in the day.
>
> I don't understand the purpose of Zone Control:Thermostatic:Control
> Type Schedule Name (around page 209 of the I/O ref manual.)
>
> In an example, it gives 1:4 discrete as possible values and I
> expected to have to schedule a value of 1-4 as keys to single cooling
> setpoint, single heating setpoint, single heating and cooling
> setpoint, or dual setpoint.  But instead the IDF Editor takes these 4
> options from a pull down list.  So why the need for Zone
> Control:Thermostatic:Control Type Schedule Name?
>
> My confusion is not helped by the example on page 208.
>
> Related matter:  adapting RadLoTempHydrHeatCool.idf using the IDF
> Editor, I cannot delete CONTROL TYPE #2.  I had to delete it with a
> text editor.
>
> Anyone able to help please.
>
> Paul

> http://www.energyplus.gov