Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] zone axis - clarification

To all:

When I say that EnergyPlus ignores wall thickness, I mean that from a
geometry standpoint.  For thermal mass and resistance, the thickness
is certainly used in computing the heat transfer properties.

Mike

On 5 Apr 2002, at 9:29, EnergyPlus_Support@yahoogroup wrote:

> Lourenço:
>
> EnergyPlus ignores wall thickness.  Surfaces are a plane with no
> thickness.  Since surface heat transfer is 1-dimensional in
> EnergyPlus, some modelers choose to use center lines for all walls so
> that the surface area is the average of the inside and outside
> surface areas.  For most typical walls, the impact on results for
> outside, centerline, or inside dimensions will be quite small.  So,
> in general, you may use whichever dimenstion is most easily obtained.
>
> Many users ask if the surfaces must meet to form a complete enclosure
> with no gaps.  For heat transfer purposes, gaps between surfaces do
> nothing, only the surfaces transfer heat.  But if you are using Solar
> Distribution=FullInteriorAndExterior (in the Building object) or
> daylighting with reference points, then all zones must be convex
> enclosures with no gaps in order to determine the distribution of
> solar energy entering the space.
>
> Mike Witte
>

> On 5 Apr 2002, at 11:16, nuno lourenço wrote:
>
> > I have doubts were is the best "location" to put the zoe axis.
> > For the drawing in the PDF file where is the best location for zone 9
> > axis?My choice was the dot in the left corner.
> > I also have doubts for zone 10 and 11.
> > If anyone give me their opinion I thanks.
> > Assume wall´s thickness and other measures.
> > I want to know where do you put the zone axis for zone 9,10,11.
> > And also the coordinates for one exterior wall and one interzone wall.
> > How does wall thickness "works" in energyPlus?
> >
> > Lourenço

HOW to SEE & RECORD EVERYTHING!
TINY Camera for Under $80 BUCKS! PRICE BREAKTHROUGH --> CLICK!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/w7toOC/.o6DAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM