Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] zone axis

Lourenço:

EnergyPlus ignores wall thickness.  Surfaces are a plane with no
thickness.  Since surface heat transfer is 1-dimensional in
EnergyPlus, some modelers choose to use center lines for all walls so
that the surface area is the average of the inside and outside
surface areas.  For most typical walls, the impact on results for
outside, centerline, or inside dimensions will be quite small.  So,
in general, you may use whichever dimenstion is most easily obtained.

Many users ask if the surfaces must meet to form a complete enclosure
with no gaps.  For heat transfer purposes, gaps between surfaces do
nothing, only the surfaces transfer heat.  But if you are using Solar
Distribution=FullInteriorAndExterior (in the Building object) or
daylighting with reference points, then all zones must be convex
enclosures with no gaps in order to determine the distribution of
solar energy entering the space.

Mike Witte

On 5 Apr 2002, at 11:16, nuno lourenço wrote:

> I have doubts were is the best "location" to put the zoe axis.
> For the drawing in the PDF file where is the best location for zone 9
> axis?My choice was the dot in the left corner.
> I also have doubts for zone 10 and 11.
> If anyone give me their opinion I thanks.
> Assume wall´s thickness and other measures.
> I want to know where do you put the zone axis for zone 9,10,11.
> And also the coordinates for one exterior wall and one interzone wall.
> How does wall thickness "works" in energyPlus?
>
> Lourenço

> http://www.energyplus.gov
>
> The group web site is:

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

SALE --> Wireless Video Cameras
for Home Surveillance! VERY TINY! PRICE BREAKTHROUGH - $79.99!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/W0toNC/7o6DAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM