Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] Fan Cycles On For No Reason

The occasional timesteps which are showing the max flow rate are a
bug that has been squashed in version 1.0.1 (CR4427).  In your run,
it's occuring in 24 timesteps out of an annual simulation, so the
impact on results is quite small.  There is no way around this in
v1.0.0, so you either ignore it or move to the v1.0.1 beta.

Regarding the short cycle operation, this can be modeled with an
appropriate part-load curve on the DX coil and the fan.  EnergyPlus
models each HVAC timestep as a quasi-steady state, so flows and
temperatures are averaged over the timestep.  If the required run-
time is 2 minutes, for example, then a 10-minute time step would show
an average supply air flow rate of 2/10 of full flow.  Cycling losses
are accounted for using the plr curves.  These curves define the
actual run time required to achieve a given part load cooling output.
 So, it should be possible to model your system fairly well by paying
close attention to the plr curves.

If you were to use this system type for ventilation purposes, then
you would probably set the DX unit operation to ContFanCycComp so
that the fan would run at full flow (as scheduled) to provide the
desired OA, and the compressor would cycle as needed to meet the
cooling load.

Mike

On 11 Apr 2002, at 17:05, Edward Lyon wrote:

> The attached file is a further modification of a project I am
> working on. I have a single zone with a cycling fan system for
> heating and cooling. I have been looking at the temperature and
> mass flow of the output node of the primary air loop.  The flow
> volume is usually very low because I have an oversized AC system
> that operates on very short cycles.  However I also observed that
> the flow volume is maxed at 24 times through the year with no
> apparent reason for the system to run at all and with neither
> heating or cooling apparent in the flow temperature.  The first
> occurance of this problem is approximately 01/03 2am.

> 1. I think there may be a bug lurking here
>
> 2. I don't think EnergyPlus can properly model this system because
> of the short cycles.  At some times the fan does not really run
> long enough for the dx to charge and start cooling.  I was
> considering linking some ventilation air to the fan operation, but
> with the short cycles, I doubt the outside air volume would be
> correct.

EnergyPlus Testing and Support
EnergyPlus-Support@xxxxxxxx

HOT! PRICE BREAKTHROUGH!
SUPER Tiny Wireless Video Camera UNDER $80 BUCKS --> ORDER NOW!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/y7toOC/8o6DAA/yigFAA/dkFolB/TM