Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] EnergyPlus and Coupling TRYSNS/COMIS

I will attempt to differentiate COMIS, TRNSYS, and EnergyPlus for you.

"COMIS models the air flow and contaminant distributions in
buildings. The program can simulate several key components
influencing air flow: cracks, ducts, duct fittings, fans, flow
controllers, vertical large openings (windows and/or doors), kitchen
hoods, passive stacks, and user-defined components."  (quote from the
COMIS website http://epb1.lbl.gov/comis/ )

TRNSYS is a transient systems simulation program with a modular
structure. It recognizes a system description language in which the
user specifies the components that constitute the system and the
manner in which they are connected. The TRNSYS library includes many
of the components commonly found in thermal energy systems, as well
as component routines to handle input of weather data or other time-
dependent forcing functions and output of simulation results.  (qoute
from TRNSYS website http://sel.me.wisc.edu/trnsys )

EnergyPlus is a new building energy simulation program for modeling
building heating, cooling, lighting, ventilating, and other energy
flows. EnergyPlus builds on the most popular features and
capabilities of BLAST and DOE-2 but includes many innovative
simulation capabilities such as time steps of less than an hour,
modular systems and plant integrated with heat balance-based zone
simulation, multizone air flow, thermal comfort, and photovoltaic
systems.  (quote from EnergyPlus web site www.energyplus.gov )

In my own words . . .

COMIS is only an airflow model and does not model the envelope heat
transfer, solar gains, mechanical systems, etc.  EnergyPlus is a
comprehensive building energy simulation tool which is capable of
detailed modeling of both the building envelope and the HVAC
mechanical systems.  COMIS has been linked into EnergyPlus in order
to provide complex airflow modeling capability.  Also a limited
version of TRNSYS has been linked in to provide modeling of
photovoltaics.  I am not a TRNSYS user, but my understanding is that
TRNSYS is focused heavily on system simulation with less
comprehensive building envelope capabilities.  While EnergyPlus
offers very flexible HVAC system descriptions, my understanding is
that TRNSYS users can have more direct control over the way in which
a system is modeled and can more readily add new component models.

Mike Witte

On 17 Jul 2002, at 6:56, rmp4aup6 wrote:

> Dear all:
>
> I think most of you know these two or three softwares.
> But I am confused with the function of these programs.
> May I know what is the detail difference between them??
> TRYSNS--thermal simualtion
> COMIS--air simulation
> Energyplus--energy simluation
> Thank you very much.