Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] SIMULATING FLOOR

Moist 3 is available from:  http://www.bfrl.nist.gov/863/moist.html

A good resource for energy tools (where I looked this one up) is
www.energytoolsdirectory.gov   a list of more than 240 energy
tools from around the world.

Dru

                    habaza11@xxxxx
                    m                    To:     EnergyPlus_Support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                         cc:
                    07/18/2002           Subject:     Re: [EnergyPlus_Support] SIMULATING FLOOR
                    03:49 PM
                    Please respond
                    EnergyPlus_Sup
                    port

Thank you very much for your responce;
I managed to do it with E+ by specifying a room with a minumum hight (.1),
the roof was the asphalt with very thick dirt layer. the inside layer of
this roof has high emmisivity, the floor for this room has the ground as
outisde surface. E+ showed the surface temperature of the inside face of
the floor almost the same as the inside surface temperature of the roof. So
I thought this will go around the problem. The only problem now is E+ does
not consider the water transfer in materials from the rain. however WUFI
does this. I dont have MOIST 2.1, is it availabe now to download from the
internet?.
Thank you again
H. Abaza

"Edward Lyon" <eglyon@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I didn't switch to MOIST 3.0 because of the inability to control "inside"
conditions directly.  I used MOIST 2.1 because it has a special provision
for using test data input files.  If you have a copy of MOIST 2.1, run a
dummy calculation of your model and save the boundary conditions output
file.  Use the calculated sol-air temperature as an exterior temperature
and generate your own interior conditions.  Make new input RH based on the
sol-air temperature.  Run the model again with the special input file.

>However, HEAT 2 (couple of hundred dollars) allows you to place heat
generating elements in the model.  I'm not sure if there is a utility to
read weather files for input data.

>I read Mike's reply and EnergyPlus could work as long as you describe
"room" for conditions to be calculated on.  However, consider that the
calculating engine is designed to calculate the air conditions and
interactions with surroundings and not necessarily the temperatures through
the layers of those surroundings.

>Final thought, if the surface sees snow, you are into another layer of
complexity.  Snow melt systems are designed for heat output to melt snow,
not maintaining surface temperature above freezing.  You may need to build
a more sophisticated calculation to model what you are doing....

>Ned Lyon
>
>Senior Staff Engineer
>Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc.
>Arlington, Massachusetts
>781-643-2000x350

>The primary EnergyPlus web site is found at:
>http://www.energyplus.gov
>
>The group web site is:

Free $5 Love Reading
Risk Free!